Saturday, February 1, 2014

Review: Revlon Parfumerie & Moon Candy


Hello everyone! Recently I went on a little drugstore shopping binge, and picked up a couple Revlon nail products that I hadn't tried before. The Parfumerie line of scented nail polishes is brand new, and although the Moon Candy line has been out for a while, I thought I'd review both products anyway. 

Revlon Parfumerie "Lime Basil"- $5, depending on where you buy 


Lime Basil is a fresh grass green color that I think will be perfect for Spring (or if you're like me, all year round). This is the only color that I picked up because I wasn't sure if I would like the formula, but I'll definitely be buying some more because the application was super smooth and very full color (I'm wearing two thin coats in these photos). Another plus is that these polishes are part of Revlon's permanent range of nail products, and come in 19 different shades. 


But what about the scent? As far as the scent is concerned, I definitely detected a strong citrus aroma as soon as I started to paint my nails. Surprisingly, I actually kind of liked the scent, because instead of being vaguely chemical, it smells fresh and not at all like a nail polish/perfume hybrid. In order to test out the longevity of the scent, I applied my Seche Vite topcoat (notoriously the smelliest topcoat known to man) and found that the scent miraculously stuck around, and after about an hour or so completely masked the Seche Vite odor. Yeah. I'm impressed.

Even two days after application, the citrus-y scent still stuck around. Granted, it had faded a bit, but it was definitely still there.


Revlon Moon Candy "#230 Satellite"- $6.97


The Revlon Moon Candy polishes are double ended, with a creme finish base color on one end and a topcoat jam packed with holographic flakes on the other. The shade I picked up (Satellite) is burgundy with rose-gold holographic flakes. First of all I love the pairing of rose gold and burgundy, so kudos to Revlon for making on-trend color decisions. Additionally, I thought that the Moon Candies were a good value for money, because obviously each end of the tube could be used on its own or paired with another polish. Yes, the amount of polish on each end is less than your average bottle, but I venture to guess that most of us take quite a while to use up one particular color.


Left: Base color, Right: Flakey topcoat


Anyway, step one in the Moon Candy application is to paint the nails with the base color. The photo above shows my nails with one coat of the base color. I was pretty impressed with the pigmentation of the polish, so I ended up going straight to the holographic flakies after coat #1 had dried (quick dry time, by the way). As with most flake topcoats, patting the polish on instead of swiping the brush as you would with normal polish application is the way to go with the Moon Candies- the particles are simply too large to evenly disperse themselves. I wasn't turned off by this, but it's definitely something to be aware of.

Since patting on the flakes deposits a lot of polish, I waited a good 15-20 minutes before applying my Seche Vite topcoat, which seemed to be an adequate amount of dry time. Lastly, the staying power of the Moon Candy polish was average- not as good as the Parfumerie polish, but not bad. I find that this is often the case with 2-step nail looks.

Hope you found this review helpful, and thanks so much for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment