Sunday, April 7, 2013

Random Makeup Post: My MAC Eyeshadows + Reviews

Hello everybody! Today I'm doing a post that has nothing to do with nails, because at the moment 6 out of my 10 have split, leaving me with no choice but to lop them all off :( I would have done a tutorial for short nails, but most of mine split off right at the quick and are quite red and irritated. Long story short, I don't think that any of you are interested in seeing close-ups of my scabby nails.
 
Anyway, this event has made me bite the bullet and finally foray into blogging about makeup, which I've been meaning to do for months. So without further ado, I'm going to start talking about my MAC eyeshadow collection (a post that every beauty blogger and her dog has done, but whatever)
 
 
Top row: Omega, Wedge, Swiss Chocolate, Brown Script, Antiqued
Bottom row: Quarry, Naked Lunch, Girlie, Star Violet, Smut
 
At the moment I have 10 MAC eyeshadows, but I'm itching to buy an eleventh so that I can start the final row in my palette. As you can see, I go for a lot of warm browns and muted purples/pinks- not sure why, but I feel like most people are drawn towards purchasing variations of a specific color.
 
For this review, I'm breaking it down into two sections: swatches of the top row of shadows + pictures of the pans and reviews, and then the same with the bottom row. By the way, MAC eyeshadows are priced at $12 for pan refills and $15 for the shadow with proper packaging.
 
L to R: Omega, Wedge, Swiss Chocolate, Brown Script, Antiqued
 
 
Omega
 
What it is: a cool-toned light brown with a matte finish
 
Admittedly, this was kind of an impulse buy for me. I'd heard a lot of people raving about this being the perfect shade for filling in brows, but didn't feel too compelled to purchase it because Wedge looked okay on my brows. However, I have now joined the Omega bandwagon- it looks super natural on the brows, and works for most blondes and most brunettes. My hair is auburn/red, but Omega still looks good because it adds subtle definition to the brows. BUY IT.
 
 
Wedge
 
What it is: A warm-toned light brown with a matte finish.
 
This was my very first MAC eyeshadow, and I think I'm about to hit pan on it. This is the perfect shade for lightly defining the crease if you have really fair skin like I do. Used with a light hand, it looks very natural and could also work as a contour down the sides of the nose if you have warm-toned skin.
 
 
Swiss Chocolate
 
What it is: A very warm medium brown with a matte finish
 
I bought this about 8 months ago when I was obsessed with reddish brown eyeshadows, and although I've moved more towards loving violets, I still get a lot of use out of this shadow for defining the outer corner. This isn't really a color that I'd go for during the spring and summer, but it looks awesome for chocolate-y fall/winter looks.
 
 
Brown Script
 
What it is: A matte terra cotta shade
 
Once again, this is the result of my red/brown phase. I loved this color when I first bought it and used it in the crease pretty much every day for a month or two. Then I noticed that people were asking me if I was sick more often than was usual. Not sure why it took me six weeks to realize that the inquisitions of illness stemmed from the fact that I had put RED on my eyelids, but as soon as I did, Brown Script was retired from my routine. However, If you are interested in wearing reddish shades, I would recommend wearing a very deliberate line of a dark liner to create separation beween the lid and the eye. Basically, I don't hate this shade- I think it's a really interesting color and the quality of the shadow is good. I'm just not real wild about it with my coloring.
 
 
Antiqued
 
What it is: A shimmery copper brown (Veluxe Pearl)
 
This eyeshadow is basically Swiss Chocolate with copper pearl mixed in. The texture is lovely and velvety, and the shimmer is subtle enough to put in the crease (personally, I hate overly shimmery eyeshadow in the crease). This would be perfect to use in a summery bronze eye look.
 
 
Part Two: Bottom Row of Purple-y Shades
 
L to R: Quarry, Naked Lunch, Girlie, Star Violet, Smut
 
 
Quarry
 
What it is: A slightly brownish, muted plum (matte)
 
If I had to pick a most used shadow in my collection, it would probably be either Quarry or Wedge. Quarry is definitely more purple leaning than brown, but is subtle enough to wear confidently if you're a bit nervous about wearing color. This shade is also flattering on all eye colors- it's brown enough to make blue eyes stand out, and purple enough to make green or hazel eyes pop (mine are hazel and I love the way this looks). As for brown eyes, I'm of the opinion that pretty much everything looks good on brown eyed people.
 
 
Naked Lunch
 
What it is: A light, shimmery rose gold shade (Frost)
 
Naked Lunch is seriously one of the most gorgeous all-over lid shades that I've ever had the pleasure of owning. Tanya Burr of pixi2woo on YouTube talks about this shade quite a lot, and influenced me to buy it because it looked amazing on her. However, you definitely need a primer of some sort so that the shadow has something to grip on to. I find that with lighter shimmery shades, the color payoff sometimes isn't great without a base.
 
 
Girlie
 
What it is: A muted pink with shimmer (Satin)
 
Before finally stumbling across this shade, I'd been in the market for a nice pink eyeshadow that didn't make me look ill. Well, this is definitely it- the subtle shimmer adds luminosity which makes the pink flattering. I like to wear this across the lids with a darker plum color in the crease.
 
 
Star Violet
 
What it is: A shimmery pinkish plum (Veluxe Pearl)
 
Next to Naked Lunch, Star Violet is probably my most used shimmery shadow because it's just so darn flattering. The plum is dark and muted enough to be wearable for everyday, but the reddish tones make it look especially beautiful against green or hazel eyes.
 
 
Smut
 
What it is: A dark graphite gray with subtle red shimmer (Velvet)
 
Last but not least, we have Smut. This shade is great for creating a smoky eye, but used with a light hand is also nice for defining the crease and the lower lash line. Hopefully you're able to see the red shimmer in the photo, but to be honest, I only detect a fraction of it once applied to the lids (which is my only criticism of the shadow). That said, it's still a really unique shade that has been popular with MAC customers for quite a while.  
 
 
PHEW. That was a long post. Hopefully you've found this helpful- I'd love to know whether or not you think I should sprinkle a few more makeup posts in with my usual nail tutorials.
 
Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment